I stumbled upon this wonderful website and I have gotten many great information, thank you so much.
We are pondering about a around the ring road trip, family with two young kid (8 & 5), at the end of Aug, spanning 11 days to early Sep.
1) is it too ambitious to do a full ring road trip with these kids?
2) should we go with a tour operator to book our car rental and room at each destination? any recommendation?
3) if we want to do booking ourselves for hotel, is there a centralized website that you can recommend?
4) we are hoping to stay at each hotel for two nights, taking it really slow, is there such itinerary like that around the ring?
5) SAAP is needed for car rental at the end of summer?
Thank you so much in advance for your help. :)
1. Not at all, Iceland is a friendly country for a family visit.
2. I would recommend the second option (book a car + accommodation yourself, you will save money and you will do everything "your way").
3. I would recommend booking.com but you can also buy packages at Edda Hotels, KEA Hotels or Foss Hotels.
4. I would recommend you to sleep one night in every hotel and spend two nights in Reykjavík and Myvatn.
5. Insurances... it is like a lottery...
Thank you so much for your insights.
I have spent considerable time researching our itinerary, and this is what I have (so far):
8/27 Late arrival 11:00pm flybus or rental car to lodging (wondering if it's worth getting the rental car at this time, or wait until next day?)
8/28 A day of sight seeing, flea market, stocking up on grocery for road trip, zoo, pool day/relax a bit, stay in Reykjavik
8/29 depart early for the golden circle: thingvellir/sifra/oxararfoss/geysir/strokkur/gullfoss, stay in Hella
8/30 continue on to Seljaorarglijufur/foss a Sidu/dverghamrar/ralfafell/svartifoss/black waterfall, jokulsarlon duck tour in the pm, staying around Hofn
8/31 driving to the eastern Fjords, need suggestion on sights and location to stay (am thinking of Egilsstaoir? or should i just continue on to Reykjahlio - long drive)
9/1 Myvatn area - thermo spring/crater/whale watching/Godafoss
9/2 Myvatn area - thermo spring, other suggestion?
9/3 Akureyri - pool day, relax, soak up the city, any must see?
9/4 Need some help on places to stay, tourist sites etc...would love to ride horses, 5 years old ok?
9/5 we might be able to do more sight seeing, depending on energy level, drive back to Reykjavik in the pm
9/6 fly back in the pm
Also, I would like to ensure that we are always near a bathroom, as i have two little daughters whom can be quite picky in that area. Any pit stop suggestion along the way, gas station, tourist centers, would be very helpful.
Another big question is food, are there fast food/cafe/along the ring route? I will definitely stock up at the grocery store for snack and stuff, but a hot meal is much desirable.
Last question, do i need a 4x4 for my plan? am leaning toward cars iceland, can you recommend them?
Thank you so much in advance for any information you provide. :)
I took your advice and did most of my hotels via booking.com. It just so happened that I modified my itinerary heavily based on the accommodation availability, and somehow it ended up like this:
Day 1: arrive at 11:40pm, will take your advice to get our rental car at the airport
Day 2: relax at Reykjavik, flea market, opera house, church, pool too if we can.
Day 3: golden cirle, staying at Brautarholt
Day 4: Landmannalaugar tour, staying at Brautarholt
Day 5: jokulsarlon. staying at hofn (quite a distance, is it doable?)
Day 6: stop by Seyðisfjörður for some sights, staying in Reykjahlio (quite a distance as well...)
Day 7: Askja, staying in Reykjahlio
Day 8: Thermo spring, soak up the city of the north, staying in Akureyri
Day 9: Taking it slow, eat at Geitafell, staying in Hvammstangi
Day 10: horse back riding if can find a spot, and proceed back to Reykjavik (distance is ok?)
Day 11: shopping, and depart Iceland :(
I welcome any suggestion to make this more kid friendly, am i too ambitious on having too many long driving days?
Thank you so much in advance.